I think I'm gearing up for Clinton this year... I was online for hours last night researching 16th century Turkish costume.
Links for those interested:
gomlek/entari/kaftan pattern
fabrics used
source documentation
more examples of kaftans from history
a local's website showing her own garb
I have more links, but they're bookmarked on my computer at home, and I'm currently posting from work. I'll have to edit this post later to add those ones.
Ottoman clothing
from The Costumer's Manifesto
Oryantal Dansi at Yahoo!Groups
Basically, it's pj bottoms, a long-sleeved t-shirt, and layers of bathrobes. period LOUNGEWEAR!!! w00t!
I haven't played regularly in about 4 years, but every once in a while I think I'd like to cruise by an event and visit with friends and whatnot. So I would go to my Tickle Trunk and root around for something to wear, and I'd end up in garb that no longer fits (I must have gained 20 lbs in the past 4 years) or just plain doesn't look good on me or feel comfortable enough to spend 18+ hours in. So I'd get all cranky and disappointed and just not go.
And if I were to make new garb now, you know I'd be the costume-nazi who would obsess over getting it absolutely authentic in the first place. Hence the online research.
I haven't planned to attend an SCA event in years, I just end up deciding at the last minute to daytrip, but after spending a few hours getting garbed and packed up and travel out to the site, it's just too much damn work. I don't think I'd be as deterred by the idea if I could just reach into my trunk, grab some co-ordinating layers, and be out the door in minutes.
So I'll be cruising by the Indian fabric stores next time I'm in Abby to get a bolt of white lightweight (turban-weight) cotton to make a few gomleks to get started...
01 January 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment