01 January 2005

history bites

30 March 2006

Back in the 17th Century, in the time of the "cavaliers", there was a particular practice in place.  These cavaliers, always dressed to the 9s in the finest clothes, would visit shops and tailors and have clothes made for them, but did not pay in cash.  They appeared to be rich and therefore more than capable of paying for the clothes they were buying and having made, so the merchants and tailors accepted "credit".  (recently illustrated in a scene of "The Libertine")

In actuality, the cavaliers were BROKE as all hell, but since they appeared to have money, they were treated as if they had money and were given credit.

Apparently I was a well-dressed Suit today, as my bank/debit card wasn't working at the japanese restaurant on the corner and they insisted I simply pay the next time I visited them! 

400 years later, and I'm the walking anachronism. 
No, I'm not suffering withdrawal from the SCA...

No comments:

Post a Comment